Tewin

See also Welwyn Garden City

Old Herts

Places

Tewin

Detail from Charles Smith's Map of Hertfordshire, 1808

 TEWIN (about 2 miles S.E. from Welwyn Station, G.N.R.) is most charmingly situated on high ground above the river Maran. The village is divided into the Upper and Lower Green; the church mile from the latter, stands on a hill that slopes steeply to the river. Note the altar-tomb in churchyard to Lady Anne Grimston (d 1710). The tomb is forced asunder by ash and sycamore trees growing together, a circumstance popularly attributed to the sceptical opinions of Lady Anne, who is said to have denied the doctrine of immortality, and to have expressed the wish that such a phenomenon should happen if the doctrine were indeed true. The church, which looks very old, is of flint, brick and rubble, with a large diamond-faced clock on one side of the tower. ...

.Hertfordshire Little Guide, 1903

Tewin Green, Tewin, Hertfordshire
Tewin Green - A Hartmann postcard posted in 1911

TEWING, or TEWIN, was anciently parcel of the lands belonging to St. Alban's Abbey, from which it appears to have been (dissevered by the Conqueror, as Peter de Valoines obtained possession, by claiming it under a grant from that Sovereign. It afterwards gave name to the family of Tywinge; but, about the time of Henry the Third, it appears to have been given to the Canons of St. Bartholomew, in London; and, after the Dissolution, was granted, by Henry the Eighth, to John Cock Esq. of Broxbourn, with all its rights and privileges, as possessed by the Priory of St. Bartholomew. Frances, elder daughter and co-heiress of his son Henry, sold the manor to Richard Hale, Esq. in Queen Elizabeth's time; and his younger son, to whom he had given it, again sold it to William Cecil, Earl of Salisbury. He settled the estate on William, his third son, of whose grandson, also named William, it was purchased by James Fleet, Esq, son of Sir John Fleet, Lord Mayor of London. He died in 1733, and bequeathed it to hi widow for her life. She soon afterwards married Joseph Sabine, Esq. a distinguished General Officer under the Duke of Marlborough, and who was afterwards killed at the Battle of Fontenoy. Being thus again left a widow, she married, thirdly, in 1739, Charles, eighth Lord Cathcart, who died the following year. Her fourth and last husband, was Lieutenant Colonel Hugh Macguire, whom she survived; but, during the greater part of the time from the period of her marriage to him, to that of his death, he kept her in obscure and severe confinement, in a remote part of Ireland. She died at the age of ninety-eight, in August, 1789, and was buried in Tewing Church; but the reversion of the Manor was sold, about ten years before her death, by the representatives of Mr. Fleet, the purchaser, to William, third Earl Cowper, whose descendant, the present Earl, is now Owner.

TEWING HOUSE was re-built in a magnificent manner, by General Sabine, who embellished it with paintings of the Battles of the Duke of Marlborough; and lies buried in the Church-Yard of Tewing, where a noble marble monument was erected to his memory; which becoming greatly damaged by the weather, and ill-usage, has been since mostly removed into the Church. Joseph Sabine, Esq. grandson to the General, sold this mansion and estate to Robert Mackay, Esq. and he disposed of them to Charles Schrieber, some time an eminent and wealthy furrier. Since his death, in 1800, his son has disposed of them to Earl Cowper, the present possessor. The ancient Manor House of Tewing stands at the bottom of a hill, 0the north side of the Maran River, and about 300 yards south-west from the Church: it is now inhabited by a fanner.

On the site of the Mansion of the Fleet family, at TEWING WATER, has been erected a new and handsome house, by Henry Cowper, Esq. Clerk of the House of Lords. The grounds and scenery arc very pleasant.

MARDEN, another beautiful seat in Tewing Parish, was, in the beginning of the last century, possessed by Richard Warren, Esq. some time Sheriff of Herts. whose grandson sold it to Robert Mackay, Esq. This gentleman pulled down the ancient Mansion, and erected a hand. some edifice at a little distance, which, with the estate, belongs to the present Earl Cowper.

The Beauties of England & Wales: Hertfordshire, 1807

 

St Peter's Church

Lady Grimston's Tomb

Tewin Water

Queen Hoo Hall

Sabine, Naturalists

Girl Guides' Rally, 1920

 
   
 

Selected Answers

 
 
If you have a relevant question why not Ask Chris

If you know of other books, websites, etc, relating to this place, please tell me.

     
Permanent Link   www.hertfordshire-genealogy.co.uk/links/tewin.htm
January 2013   Page reformated with new menu